Saturday, February 2, 2008

How far would I go?

I am not one for prayer, but I am holding ME in good and active thought right now as she struggles off an infection in a faraway hospital. She has suffered so much already, more IVF treatments than I care to know about, miscarriages, and now triplets born too early and with us too short. I only recently started reading her blog, Not According to Plan, but my heart goes out to her and her husband.

It is very ignorant for me to say what I would and wouldn't do if it turns out we can't conceive the old fashioned way. There would be emotions underlying my thoughts that I am not considering right now. But, from here in my cerebral sanctuary, I like to believe I would draw the line before IVF. This is a very personal choice for everyone, and I do not believe my answer should be anyone else's answer. Here are my current reasons why I'd shy away from IVF:

Injecting myself, repeatedly, doesn't sound like fun
I wouldn't want to saddle my progeny with infertility by genetic inheritance
What is really so awesome about *my* genes?
I want to raise a child much more than I want to give birth to one
The expense
There are millions of children without families

I think we could afford either international adoption, or IVF, but not both. So, after trying the basic remedies for conception I think I'd be more likely to adopt than try IVF. Hopefully, this thought process can remain in the land of conjecture for all eternity.

No comments: