Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Fever

I've been on the fringes of baby fever for nearly a year. This was when I learned that we had the resources to start our family a little sooner than we had expected. But, I told myself I wasn't going overboard. I'm not shopping for baby things. I didn't look at every baby on the street. I'm not always thinking about it. It isn't slipping into conversation with coworkers.

Well, I've hit the tipping point. I had a dream last night I was in an establishment that I'd heard advertised on Rick Steve's Europe. It looked extremely slummy, there were gang bangers outside, everything seemed dirty. But, they were supposed to be good. They did an ultrasound(?) that happened to be full color 3D. The gruesome blood and guts I was able to see didn't seem to matter because the fetus was there. It looked like a fully formed baby, just of smaller stature. It had tons of space to move around, and it spread its legs to give the onlookers a full view. There were many people in the room, old once-friends, my parents, and of course DH. We all knew at once that she was a girl.

I remember someone in the room was upset, and I was vaguely aware of an imagined disagreement between DH and I over the name. But, none of that mattered, I was tearfully joyful.

In addition to this dream... most everything I wasn't doing, that wasn't happening, in the first paragraph of this post... is now commonplace. I am a sappy supplicant to this fever!

No comments: