Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Much processing

At last, I have time to post about the ultrasound that took place on Monday.

DH, mom, and I arrived, and barely had to wait at all. I forked over $10 for the DVD while DH rolled his eyes. :P They put us in a nice large room, where DH and my mom had to take turns with the only guest chair.

The ultrasound tech came in and got started. She was extremely dry and all business. We were trying to have a lighthearted mood but she was not interested in the least. Though she was very considerate, and let me use the bathroom after getting a good fix on the position and some measurements, and again later as my bladder filled.

She spent a LONG time on the nose/mouth area. I was almost concerned there was a problem but I didn't see anything obvious. We saw many wonderful important things, a definite spine, brain structures, kidneys, stomach, heart, clear bones in arms and legs. Everything seemed in place (though I get the sense she wouldn't have said a word if something was off).

She was absolutely silent on the subject of gender, didn't even ask if we wanted to know or not. Eventually, about halfway through, I asked and she said she'd take a look at the end. I understand that it is NOT an important thing she's supposed to document, and has little to no medical relevance. But, seriously, can she not know that people are interested and excited? Somehow I thought she'd be asking us if we wanted to know, and upping the suspense throughout the scan. Anyway, at last she zoomed in to the proper area and pointed out what looked like labia to her. :)

I received two pictures. The profile posted below is a head shot only, taken from the side, with nose pointing straight up. The pink bow on the forehead is, of course, artistic license. :) The other picture I received was a nose/mouth. I've grabbed a few other still shots from the DVD. I'm so happy I have it!

So, I am processing this wonderful news (it would have been wonderful either way of course), as well as a very very special honor I received at work yesterday. Maybe I'll post more about that later, but I do have the best boss in the whole world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like your u/s tech was a real witch! I'm sorry she wasn't nicer, but I'm glad you didn't let it ruin the big moment!

And I would love to hear about the special honor you received at work, if you are able to share.

Yay! Lots of good things happening for you!!! :)

The Quarke Family said...

I had a really rubbish ultrasound technician at our 20 week scan ... he actually hurt me, he was so rough (trying to get a good look at an uncooperative baby, and he wasn't very patient). It does put a damper on things, but she would have told you had anything been amiss, so you can at least relax with the knowledge that all is well with your little girl!
Congrats, I hope your pregnancy continues to go smoothly.