Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Stuff of Babies

I attended a baby shower over the weekend. It was the first time I had a real valid excuse to wander into the lion's den of parental consumerism. Ahh, all of the little outfits, accessories, strollers, carseats, etc... Yes, there was some yearning involved, but it was more symbolic than specific.

I want to be a mother first, not a consumer, not a market group. I hope we can make good use of items found secondhand. When we do get new items, I will prioritize for those that have multiple uses that span many years. In terms of toys, I don't foresee buying much. There are hundreds of things in my house right now that could be great fun. Besides, I'm sure my parents will provide plenty.

We may do basic disposable diapers, I have to leave that one up to DH as he will be changing the vast majority of them when I return to work. I wouldn't mind giving Elimination Communication a shot though. When it works, it seems even better than cloth diapering.

In addition to the thermometer, I bought the Mayo Clinic's Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. I snagged a used copy from Amazon. Soon I'll be thinking about replacing my cosmetics and skin/hair care items with natural alternatives. The EWG's Skin Deep site will be my guide.

Alas, the bellydance class was canceled. But, the Wii Fit should arrive next week!

No comments: