Monday, September 14, 2009

Ready or not!!!

I went in today, expecting more of the same. Maybe the results of my GBS test, maybe a little more dilation or effacement (though hopefully not too much more) and that's it. Thanks, see you in a week!

That's not what happened.

My 38 week appointment began as usual, with the happy friendly heartbeat of my baby. But, the pelvic exam brought ominous sounds from my doctor's lips, and a quick call for the ultrasound machine. While the nurse wheeled in C3P0, he said (in more medicalized verbage) that he was feeling butt crack instead of skull plates. The gooey wand confirmed the head I've felt under my right rib for ages.

Yep, she really is breech. He sounded very disappointed, swearing in a near Flandersesque fashion. Me? Not so much. Again, my preferences are for an uncomplicated natural vaginal birth or planned C-Section. Not that I expect anyone to understand my dueling extreme preferences.

What really threw me for a loop is what came next. I dressed and met my doctor in his office for a talk about the options. I already knew I wouldn't be a good candidate for an external version. I already knew vaginal breech births weren't an option at that hospital. What I didn't know is: "Do not pass go, do not go into labor, report for a c-section Thursday or Friday, we'll call to let you know which." Apparently the little girl is wedged in there tight, and he doesn't want her wedged much tighter before having to pull her back up and out.

Thus, I'm going to be a mom in 3-4 days and its blowing my mind. Also, by the way, that timeline that I got my boss to push back was reinstated by my boss's boss. So, that's my top priority. Yuck.

I'm going in to work tomorrow at 5am-ish and probably staying until that late tomorrow night, and maybe the day after as well. Hell, I might as well live at work for the next two days. At least that way I know I will have done as much as I can.

7 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Well, that's a turn up for the books!

I'll look forward to pictures in a few days!

To A T said...

Oh my that is quite the SHOCK!! Is it starting to sink in yet that you are going to be an "official" mom in 2-3 days? EEK!! I'm so excited for you though ;-)
Can't wait to see those pics!!

Morgan said...

Only 2-3 more days to go, wow! You must be really excited and trying to get a long done during the next couple days, huh?!?

I hope your c-section goes awesome for both you and your new little baby. : )

Anonymous said...

Congrats Momma!!! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! I'm so excited for you, but WOW, what a shock!

I hope everything goes absolutely WONDERFULLY and that your little one comes out perfectly happy and terrific!

Keep us posted!! :-)

Anonymous said...

OMG it is really happening, and so fast! You are going to be a mommy by the end of the week. WOO HOO! I can't wait to see pictures of the baby.

The Quarke Family said...

Good luck! I really hope things are going great for you. Can't wait to hear about your little one's arrivale whenver you get around to updating. Take care!