Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Resolution

To get pregnant in 2008.

If I only knew what the future holds...

I have been on hormonal birth control pills since 1997, 11 years now. For the past 4 years I have been on Seasonale (or generic equivalent). This means I only have 4 periods per year. I wouldn't have it any other way. I believe it is safe, and I am living proof of its efficacy.

The uninformed sentiment is that the longer one is on the pill, the longer it takes to resume a normal fertility cycle. Yet, a quick search on Google Scholar shows that extended use of hormonal birth control does not cause a delay in fertility. So, I will proceed with the assumption that I will get pregnant within a few short months of trying. I just hope I'm not part of the unlucky 20% that need some extra time.

With that in mind, this schedule is aiming for a maternity leave of Spring-Summer 2009 because I get one month off in July/August. If the month off can follow 6 weeks of leave that would be perfect.

End of May - stop taking the pill
June - chart and avoid getting pregnant by other means
July - try tentatively for a girl
August and Beyond - go for broke!

How can we "try" for a girl, you ask??? By timing sex to occur a couple of days prior to ovulation, and no nearer to ovulation than that. This will cause the male-producing sperm "hare sperm" to wear out before the egg is ready, leaving the female-bearing sperm "tortoise sperm" to complete the job. Google the Shettles Method for more info. It is playing the odds a bit, rest assured we will be thrilled so long as the outcome is healthy and human. :)

So, what do I do with myself for the next 5-6 months???

Work - refine my workflows so someone else could easily take over
School - Complete my AA
Fitness - Enjoy my crosstraining class and establish good activity habits
Wellness - Eliminate food, beverages, and other substances from my life that are fertility-reducing or have reproductive toxicity. Increase intake of vitamins and healthful foods.

My wellness plans deserve a whole post of their own

No comments: