Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Can Has Swimmers?

I saw them, with my own eyes (well, one eye at a time anyway). The scope is pretty cool, I don't regret buying it.  Since there were obvious active swimmers I didn't bother doing the full million/ml estimation, but it allows for it.  There is a grid on the lense that helps in counting.  My rough guestimate is about half of average, but that is with mucho fatigue.  So, I'm not all that concerned.

It was pretty interesting to watch them, and their personalities.  Some fast, some slow, some hyper, a few dead, a few simming in circles, and one with two heads (don't want that one).  A handful were still alive after a day, but no more.

The more I learn about human reproduction, the more etherial, mystical, and surreal it seems. How did *that* become the means of reproducing?  Its like a whole other micro society with its own rules its own motivations, and its own (exceedingly limited) lives and perspectives.  What makes them swim one way vs another? How do they know the egg when they see it? How many trillions have died without even getting close?

Thursday is O day, but I'm going to use an OPK tomorrow just in case.

Getting pregnant this cycle would be neat for the following rather trivial reason: I could stuff a pillow in my pants for halloween and call it good. I would be able to tell the whole office I'm pregnant with a single gesture. The more I think about it, the less hope I have of keeping a secret for 12 weeks.  Someone would catch me hurling in the bathroom and it would be all over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to see DH's swimmers on a screen connected to a microscope when we went in for the IUI. It was so neat! (DH thought it was gross...) All I saw were like 4 swimmers... it made me sad :(

To A T said...

That really sounds cool! The crazy lady in me would want to see my DH's and then compare them to others... how sad is that? haha!
I hope you catch that eggie this cycle!! I'll keep everything crossed for you!!