Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Heads Up!

It is very early yet, but my OB confirmed for me today that the softballesque shape I've been feeling near my right ribs is indeed a head. He said if baby is still breech in a month they will do an ultrasound to confirm, then talk about options.

I'm actually quite relaxed about this. One, a month is a long time for the little one to turn. Two, I'm really not much afraid of a C-Section. I have no interest in attempting to deliver a breech babe vaginally. In fact, I'm more concerned about an attempted external version that doesn't turn out well (I'm tainted by a horror story I read once).

My birth preferences go like this... Ideally I'd have an unmedicated mostly intervention-free labor and delivery of a baby in the perfect position, of the perfect size for me, with *relatively* little trauma to my pelvic region. My second most preferred birth would be a planned cesarean. I know, I like the extremes. Summer and winter, gardening and programming, natural birth and cesarean, what can I say?

I'm not saying if labor isn't easy then I want a cesarean. Not at all. I'm looking at relaxing music, breathing techniques, meditation, and reading a slew of "natural" birth stories with the expectation that labor pains may just blow all of that out of the water anyway. Difficulty is to be expected, even if there's no way I can really prepare for the degree or severity. But, I'd rather the baby not be posterior, in distress, with labor stalled/induced, under duress, etc.

Now, of course, I don't get to check a little box on a piece of paper somewhere and make that choice. "I want birth combo A please, and hold the pain." I didn't check a little box to pick when I would get pregnant, and there is no "healthy child please" box either. Stuff can happen that's beyond anyone's control. Of course it does not and should not stop me from having preferences and discussing them with my doctor. If she's still breech when the time comes, then so be it.

Now, a change of subject... DH has decided he's over his issues with the childbirth class and has developed some coping mechanisms for when he feels things have gone from useful to useless, ridiculous, or downright insulting. Yay! That's 1/3 less drama to concern myself with. :)

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

well i agree i wouldnt mind a c section.. as for natural child birth... props to you because i can see me now screaming "GIVE ME THE DRUGS" like on baby mama... i dont know if you've seen that movie but at one point she is in labor and being taken down the hallway in a wheel chair and she's pulling at everyones IV begging for drugs.. yes thats me. an adult female weenie.. my hoo-ha should not have to experience that type of pain. your like super woman just for thinking natural birth.. saying those words... brings me nightmares haha

The Quarke Family said...

Here's wishing you a really straightforward and smooth natural birth. It was what I wanted, too, and I got it, and it really wasn't as bad as I'd expected ... I was actually open to doing it again some day before I was even discharged from hospital! (And I have a veeeerrrry low pain threshold).

Take care and enjoy your shower!

P.S. I didn't enjoy my classes either, but some of them were useful. All in all though, I'd say I also got more from books and the interwebs than the classes. Good luck!

xx K

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are doing well, even with that softball head in your ribs. :-)

I'm sure that your delivery will work out wonderfully...no matter how it happens. And, you are so right, a month is a LONG time for baby to turn in the right direction!