Sunday, June 1, 2008

Endocrine Symphony

I have taken my last birth control pill. I'm excited and nervous for the future. I have it all planned out, I know the notes I will play, I have rehearsed it all in my head a thousand times. But, it is my body that will be conducting this orchestra, and I have no choice but to follow its lead.

I'm especially nervous that being on an extended cycle pill (Seasonale, now the generic version) for the past ~4ish years will mean it takes longer for my body's own hormones to figure themselves out. I can expect my usual pseudo-period breakthrough bleeding to begin Tuesday/Wednesday. But after that, my expectations are meaningless.

The big milestone and my first sigh of relief will come when the real AF shows herself for the first time in ~10 years. We will not be *trying* in the physical sense until my next cycle, my first real contraceptive-free cycle. But WHEN will that be? If I think WAAAY back in time, in high school, I think I was pretty regular. But, then again, I didn't really pay much attention.

I am on the edge of my seat, and as each day passes this month I'm going to be even more hopeful/excited/anxious/etc. I know most women probably don't get this worked up or analytical about TTC the first time. Most follow the classic two step method, pull the goalie and let the pucks fly! Only after several months of no results do they get concerned and start searching for info. I, on the other hand, read TCOYF about a year ago... when I learned our financial situation was such that we could start trying next year.

I've been awash in information ever since. I'm not sure if its been a blessing or a curse... but this is me.

No comments: