Tuesday, December 30, 2008

In Retrospect

A helpful thought that has come me lately is this: I can only get pregnant in restrospect.  

Getting me pregnant is not something we can do in the present or future tense. It isn't something I can plan, or schedule, or even wish into being. It is only after I have been there for a while, the biological cogs gently turning at their own pace, that slowly the realization comes.  Then, only then, can I look back and say we conceived!

But, from here, there is no way to bring it into being. There is no thought or action that has any bearing whatsoever. It only happens in retrospect.

In retrospect, 2008 was an impatient year. There were certain ups and downs, certain victories, a few quagmires. But, an undercurrent of impatience punctuated all of it.  I hope to live more in the present in 2009.

3 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

you know, I think that's really true. What a powerful insight.

To A T said...

I agree, how completely true!
I hope the best for you in 2009! :) (and a BFP!!)

Anonymous said...

Great post! Best wishes and a BFP for 2009! :)