Monday, February 16, 2009

First Appointment

I went in to see the nurse today with my FMU sample.  I started by filling out a bunch of paperwork, the nurse called me back when I was 3/4 of the way through. She confirmed the pregnancy and gave me a long list of all of the Do's and Dont's.  They gave me a bag with the office logo on it to put all of the pamphlets and fliers in.  Most of it is stuff I've already learned through my Mayo Clinic's Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy and the internet.  

There were some items of value. I was happy to get a calendar with fetal stages on it, and some cute stickers I can add to it for 1st ultrasound, feeling 1st movement, etc.  I was also happy to get some pamphlets about deciding which prenatal tests to have done, and various options for labor and delivery (monitoring, pain relief, etc).  I'll have to post more about the hospital's Family Materinity Center later.  It sounds really spiffy.

She gave me a schedule of when they will see me, I'll have 2 ultrasounds overall. The first is with a little machine in their office, the next will be at the big imaging lab. I scheduled my first ultrasound for March 12th after work.  Its farther away than I would like, but I must take a moment to be very thankful I'm such a low-risk subject.  

I left the office with paperwork for my bloodwork (RH, german measles, antibody, blood counts).  The bloodwork office was across the street. I almost wanted DH to come in case I felt dizzy and didn't want to drive home. But, it felt silly with the office so close by.  So, I drove across the street and popped in.  

As I sait waiting for them to call my name, I looked over the B/W form. I was sorely tempted to whip out my pen and check the HcG boxes... but, I didn't. :p  The nice vampire lady called me back, and pulled together the 5 vials I'd need to fill.  The first one went fine, but my vein petered out (that stung a bit).  So, she looked at my other arm but the vein was so tiny she had to get a baby needle. That went much better, and didn't hurt much at all.  She gave me a little can of juice (I wasn't feeling that bad, but it was nice to have). Then, sent me into the bathroom for a urine sample.

Driving home via manual transmission was awkward with my elbows all taped up.  But, I made it. :)

The End... Er... The Beginning

Now, I have some reading material to go over, and about a month to kill.   Luckily CivFanatics just relased the next Beyond the Sword Game of the Month!  There is NO time-killer like Civ. :)

4 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Hurrah!

To A T said...

Yay for a good appt!! Now we just have to countdown until your u/s and see that little bean! :)
At least you have something to keep you distracted ;-)

Tiffany said...

hey urgh I'm sooo excited for you... I feel like a big ol stalker cause I check ur page everyday to see what's new haha.. oo and I was just wanting to let you know on the top of your page it says ur BFP is like 1/18/2009 and the eta is sept of 08? I think you may be a year off :) simple mistake I make em more often then not hehe

faedrake said...

Wannabe, stalkers are welcome so long as the intentions are good! Thanks for the correction! *slaps forehead*