Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Valentine

When DH and I were seriously dating, I said I wanted two kids, just like my parents had. A girl and a boy, if I could be so lucky. He made it clear that he did not want kids. He felt it was irresponsible, and the Earth is overburdened enough as it is. I suggested that if we only had one, we'd still be doing "our part" for population control, since we wouldn't be replacing both of us.  

Eventually, he came around to the idea that being with me meant being a father someday.  But, the motivation has always been primarily mine.  He was excited to start trying, as any DH would be. But most of the enthusiasm around the BFP has been mine.  His vibe has been mostly happy for me/us and very supportive, if not personally jubilant.  I know it must be a big scary deal for him... I'm the primary breadwinner and we've both talked about the fact that he's going to be a work at home dad.  He'll have the lion's share of the dirty work when I return to the office.  

So, fast forward to this week.  After I got home on Wednesday, DH left to run an errand.  The next day, I get in to work at 6am to be greeted by a beautiful fragrant boquet of lillies, roses, and many other flowers I cannot name, before a backdrop of bells of ireland. :)  He also made sure I had an email when I arrived saying the flowers were an early V-day gift, but he wanted me to be able to enjoy them and show them off.

I brought them home yesterday, and they are perfuming the whole house.  DH said he didn't want to give just roses, as roses were for courtship and romance.  This boquet has more meaning.  :) Later that day he was talking about telling some friends online that he has a lot to be happy about, because its Valentine's and his wife is preggers.  

Thus, my heart is full, and I have a DH to go smooch into wakefulness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww.. Sweet story! Can't wait to hear how today's appt went!
:-)

To A T said...

Way to go DH!! Aww so cute! :) I love it when DH's are excited to become daddies... it makes my heart just melt ;-)