Saturday, January 24, 2009

Honest Scrap - Coming Clean Edition

Ophelia tagged me with the Honest Scrap award.  Yayness!  She's the most energetic unapologetic blogger evAr, a spirit to be admired. 

So, I'm supposed to tag other blogs superior in content or design. I've seen this pop up many times though, and I can't remember who has been tagged already.  So, chances are if I read your blog it IS superior in content or design so consider yourself tagged. :)

Next, I'm to list 10 honest things about myself.  Without further ado...

1. I have my boss save our coffee grounds at work.  I don't even drink the nasty black stuff at work, but I take the grounds home for my compost pile.  Only, sometimes I accidently leave them in the car and it makes it smell like nasty old coffee grounds...  

2.  DH and I play Mario Kart Wii almost every day after work. We play multiplayer, I play for points and DH is my wingman because the guest can't get points anyway.  So, I try to come in first and he tries to mess up everyone else.  His Mii is named Bottom, and it looks like a sideways derrier. We have developed a shorthand language to share info about the track, example: if I fire a green shell backwards and DH is back there I'll warn him by saying, "green back!".  We rock (usually).

3.  I am a half-assed consumer of organic/green foods and products. I would love to buy the organic free-range chickens all the time.  One, because they are less likely to have issues that come from industrial cost-cutting production.  Two, because the chickens had a better life that way.  Three, because its easier on the environment to raise them that way. However, due to my very humble frugal upbringing I have a hard time buying a bird for $4 per pound when I could buy one for 69 cents a pound.  However, if nothing is on sale, I will try to go the organic route even though it costs more.  It doesn't make much sense, but there you go.

4. We have no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's here. Our organic options are limited and therefore even more expensive.  We have a co-op, and a natural foods store, and the seasonal Farmer's Market.  That's it.  I am so sad when our Farmer's Market closes each Fall.  I buy a huge pint of local honey each fall to tide me over until spring.

5. I try to eat 2 out of 3 vegetarian meals each day.  Sometimes I succeed at 3/3 but that is rare because DH is a convicted carnivore.  Not only that, he prefers beef (could eat it daily) and doesn't like fish at all.

6.  I still haven't read China Study, but I will dangnabit.  In fact, maybe I'll read that next as I'm almost done with Eclipse.  I like to alternate fiction and non fiction.

7.  Deep down I'm afraid I'm just a hack, a big fish in a tiny pond.  Here I am setting up imaging systems, web sites, and databases and state reporting compliance for our department of ~400 people with no formal training on the subject.  Everyone heaps praise on me for my work, but sometimes I feel as though its only because they have never met a "real" IT person.  

8.  To compensate for the above, I read books, journals, blogs, and do tons of self-study.  I'm also going to seek out some database certifications.  I just don't have time for a bachelor's degree...  If there was such a thing, I'd have a doctorate from Google University.  :p

9.  I really wish someone else in blogland would jump out and say the same thing I'm going to say for number 10, so I wouldn't be alone...  so I wouldn't be the only traitor.  If you know of any other traitors I'd be happy to read their blogs. I hope none of my home/work/family reads this blog because they don't know.  

10.  It is time to come clean...  I've known for 7 days....   But, a geek like myself can't do anything without digital confirmation.





I



am






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG OMG OMG! Congratulations!!! I had to blink a few times before I realized what I was looking at! Wait, so when did you find out? When did you tell DH? I am so happy for you!

Tiffany said...

oooo give us ttc-ers all the gooey details so that we can hold on to the fact BFP's really do happen :) congrats!!

Anonymous said...

YAY! YAY! YAY!!
Soooooo happy for you!!!
Um, a litle jealous, too..... but mostly just really happy!!!
:-)

Mrs. Spit said...

Ahem. This is a bit funny. Because I have been praying that you would stay pregnant for 10 days. You had posted a while back about spotting. I'll keep praying, and add fervent thanks.

The Quarke Family said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is wonderful news! I found your blog through Making A Baby From Scratch and having been checking back regularly to see how you're getting on. Best of luck with it, take good care of yourself and be well.

To A T said...

COngrats!! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Oh my this is the best thing I have read all day... I have been impatiently going through my daily blog reading HOPING to read SOME kind of update from you and it turns out it is the BEST one ever!!!
Congrats girlie! oh and what a great way to tell us all ;-) Very cute!